WifiMedia

Het Nederlandstalige Streaming Media Forum!
Het is momenteel 12 Dec 2018, 12:45

Alle tijden zijn UTC+01:00

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen  Reageer op onderwerp  [ 4 berichten ] 
Auteur Bericht
BerichtGeplaatst: 23 Aug 2010, 12:03 

Good morning,

I am very happy with the Sonos system in general - it is great to have hi-fi quality equipment that is easy to use and intuitive enough for my wife to even want to use it.

I am reasonably content with its abilities to browse my library but am hitting a real limitation now. I am gradually turning my cd collection into digital form, first MP3 and now mostly FLAC. In the process, I see no value in sticking to the source media it originally came on and prefer to organise the music by logical entity. That is, Tina Turner's "Live in Europe" concert came on two cds and I prefer it as a single album in my collection; a particular performance of Beethoven's 5th came on a disk with another symphony but I prefer each as separate entities. Unfortunately, the UI does not support multiple entities with the same name -- it does not support multiple albums and simply merges them, both under Albums and under Composers/Albums.

For instance, I have two performances of Symphony No. 9 in D, Op. 125, one BBC Philharmonic conducted by Noseda and one by the Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest conducted by Haitink. Browsing to the album, it shows as a single album with all tracks duplicated, first the Allegro from one performance and then the Allegro from the next, and so on.

Any ideas on how to tag my library to (a) have logical entities, such as symphonies, rather than the source media they came from and (b) be able to have multiple performances of the same piece?

One solution would be to enhance the browsing UI, displaying another level, 'Artist', only for Albums of which there are multiple. That should be reasonably easy to add and intuitive to use without requiring users to click more for Albums that are unique.

Auke

BerichtGeplaatst: 23 Aug 2010, 13:31 

It all depends on the definition of a “Album”
Most media players use a combination of Album and Artist, if these are the same, tracks are grouped as an album.
Looks like Sonos is using Album title only.
If this is true, the only way to avoid this silly grouping is making the Album title unique e.g.
Symphony No. 9 in D, Op. 125, BBC Philharmonic
Symphony No. 9 in D, Op. 125, RCO

A bit more on tagging: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/TG/Tagging.html

BerichtGeplaatst: 24 Aug 2010, 16:01 

Thank you for your suggestion. Modifying the 'Album' tag to include the title of the piece as well as the artist would work, but I find that an ugly workaround at best. (And one that is not easily reverted. It is relatively easy to batch update tags to combine album and artist into album but undoing such a change will be not so easy and will probably require me to have a separator character to be able to do that.) Far better would be if the controller's interface would present the Artist level upon listing various Albums with the same title. I shall submit a feature request with Sonos. One never knows if they would actually include that. Meanwhile, I am undecided on how to handle these but will keep this option in mind.

Interesting web site on computer audio you have!

BerichtGeplaatst: 24 Aug 2010, 16:10 

You can make a tag like 'Original Album' or use any other standard tag like Comment.
Copy the Album to this tag to preserve the original title.
Now you can roll back all of the time

Thanks for the kind words about my website

Berichten van vorige weergeven:  Sorteer op  
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen  Reageer op onderwerp  [ 4 berichten ] 

Alle tijden zijn UTC+01:00